Every review will have spoilers!!!!!!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

3 Stars

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.



I liked this book. There were interesting paranormal aspects and I like that there was a lot of family history. But that's just it, I liked it. It never grabbed me in. There were many slow parts and not enough page turner moments. With that, it was easy to put it down. Took me a couple of days longer to read than normal. 


The setting of the story was great. The authors did a great job in that department. The two main characters were kind of flat. There wasn't too much to them. Pretty stereotypical I must say. Lena is the weird outsider and Ethan the jock with a good heart. I have to say the extras in the book were more interesting. I couldn't get enough of Macon Ravewood(Lena's uncle), Link(Ethan's comical best friend) or Ridley(Lena's Dark Caster cousin). 


I think the weirdest thing about the book was Ridley and her lollipop. What was up with that?! She's a Dark Caster and every time she was doing dark magic she would be sucking on her lollipops. Ummm, ok. Maybe the authors should've explained about that. 


All in all, it was an ok book. I am the type that really has to finish a series if I start one. But I gotta say I am debating if I should pick up the second book or not. I'll be thinking about it. 
If anyone knows if it gets better or not, please let me know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment